GGAZ Painting Competition October 2023
[IN STORE EVENT]
1. Contest begins October 1st 2023. Participants may register anytime from October 1st - October 31th 2023. Finished models must be submitted for private judging before
November 1st. Judges will be announced prior to contest end.
2. Judging: Will be held privately prior to the contest end event to create a more intuitive experience for event goers and to allow for more thorough inspection. The end goal is to reduce the time competitors need to be at the event and to provide more meaningful feedback with a final score.
3. Cost of Entry: $15 per person per miniature. Any single person may submit more than one entry into the competition but must pay a separate entry fee for each submission.
4. Winners: Best in Show (decided by panel of judges) People’s Choice (decided by
community voting to take place via discord or applicable social media platforms). Prize
payout will now extend to 2nd and 3rd place as well (based on judges scoring).
5. Prizing: Competition 80% of registrations fees will go directly to prize support and will be distributed amongst the winners accordingly. The other 20% will go to support the
store/event staff as well to fund trophies/ammenities for the event/etc…
1. This is a closed model format meaning that the model selection is predetermined. A
model will be provided to all competitors upon registration.
2. Model must be painted within the timeframe of the contest. Models painted in any way, excluding primer/zenithal prime, before the start date will not be considered for entry.
3. In order for a model to be considered as a valid entry you must post a photo of the model you which to submit for the contest in the #painting channel of the Gamer’s Guild Discord server. The photo must include the miniature you wish to paint unpainted (primed/zenithal primed ok) and a hand written time stamp denoting the date as well as your discord handle or first and last name. This may be submitted prior to paying for registration.
4. Registration must be paid in full prior to submitting your finished model. Unpaid
registration may result in disqualification. Upon registration a contestant identifier will be provided.
5. The format for the contest will be a single model format. Sculpted/printed accent pieces for basing/kitbashing will be allowed but the primary focus should be on a single model.
6. Models must adhere to the Gamer’s Guild code of conduct. Meaning no overtly offensive, sexual, or graphic models will be allowed to be submitted for consideration.
7. Contestants may submit more than one model for consideration. Each model submitted will carry a separate entry fee.
8. Basing will be considered in judging but the primary focus will be on painting skill.
9. Winners will be determined by a panel of judges selected prior to the beginning of the competition. Open voting will also be held after initial judging to determine a “people’s choice” winner. Open voting will be held via discord or other applicable social media platforms. Judges are not allowed to participate in the contest.
10. Miniatures will be judged on a 5 tiered rubric. Submissions will receive a score of 1-5
based on their performance in each. Scores from each category will be combined to
represent a “total score”. Placement will be determined by the 3 highest scores. The
rubric includes the following categories:
Execution: Simply how well is the model painted. Are there any visible mistakes? Is the paint application smooth? Is everything painted?
Creativity: This category is based purely on artistic expression. Is the model interesting? Does it tell a story? Does it evoke your imagination?
Theme: Does the model match the theme presented? Is the way it matches conventional or unorthodox?
Skill Expression: Are there any advanced techniques on display and how well are they
executed? OSL, NMM, diorama basing? Do these effects read as what they are meant to?
Overall Composition: Do the color choices make sense? Is the model well position on it’s
base? Do all the elements tie together? Is the paint scheme more than the sum of it’s
11. Prizes will be awarded to Best in Show, as well as the People’s Choice winner. Prize
distribution is at the sole discretion of Gamer’s Guild and will be determined by number of participants